A snippet about me...

My photo
Newcastle, United Kingdom
I love to laugh, constantly change my mind and enjoy discovering new things and meeting new people. Scrabble, red wine, cups of tea, sarcasm, music and general witty banter make up my life on a general day-to-day basis.

Thursday 20 January 2011

There is sometimes such a thing as too much enthusiasm...

On a 'slightly' tipsy whim, I started browsing through more events that were going on in Newcastle. On one particular website I noticed there was a free film on at the Tyneside cinema (or so I thought), and that it was comically named "In search of a Geordie" (again, so I thought..!). So on this tipsy whim I told my flatmate about it, who I feel it is important to note, is the most organised and motivated person that I know. Possibly ever have known, ever. No word of a lie, the woman is a machine.

Bearing this in mind, the next morning when the inevitable hangover had kicked in and I was fully exploiting the fact I had a day off work and was lying in my pit, she burst in full of the joys of spring. And then I remembered the previous evening's tipsy idea. Not one to disappoint, I leaped forth from my bed (or rather, crawled out slowly and precariously) and felt the need to double check the details...
,
Turns out, it was actually at the Discovery Museum. Now, this probably should have set the alarm bells ringing right there. But I am one for giving something a try. So off we went, down to the Discovery, aiming to be there ten minutes before it started. Got there with minimal complications, despite my lack of spatial awareness and even slightly earlier than expected. Always a plus.

However, what I hadn't bargained for, is that the 'free film' I had sold to my friend at a venue that is usually regarded as quite 'indie' was not a film about searching for Geordies at all. In my head, I feel I may  have had some comical manhunt in mind, perhaps in the style of a 'Monty Python-esque' film, aimed at a variety of ages. Where we actually ended up, was a room on the top floor of a museum, with a film documenting the history of the River Tyne.  Oh, and surrounded by 30+ people who were a good 30 years older, gawking at us as if we had just laid a golden egg, or something as equally ridiculous that indicated how out of place we actually were. For my troubles I earned the 'look'. The look is something you do NOT want to experience from my darling, lovely flatmate. As lovely, sweet and incredibly logical as she is, let's just say I'm glad she's on my side..!

Fortunately along with the rest of my 'research', I had got the timing so wrong, we only had to endure five minutes of this.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like documentaries, I do. But I do enjoy them from the comfort of my own home, where I don't feel that those sitting around me are more interested in the presence of the 'younger' generation than they are in the actual documentary.

So, I guess the moral of the story here folks...
Always research an event properly. Timing, details and the actual location.
And most importantly. Never do said research on a drunken whim.

No comments:

Post a Comment